Monday, January 09, 2006

Body for Life

So it's just about time I went through a physical fitness phase again. Typically, I don't get this urge around the new year, but for some reason...the timing is just about right. I've been feeling pretty negative about my body, energy level, waistline, and health in general for the past couple of months. Now I've reached that point where you finally decide..."I'm sick of this!" I went to put on a pair of pants on Sunday morning two weeks ago and couldn't even get the snaps close enough to see each other. I threw the pants to the floor in disgust. I attempted to briskly jog a short distance two days ago and when I got inside, someone commented "Were you running?" The truth is "no"...what I attempted could not be categorized as running, but the way my body & breathing were reacting, you would've thought I just finished a 10k. Anyway, it's not just physical discipline that is called for. My neglect of healthy nutrition and exercise is symptomatic of a lack of discipline in other areas as well. The spirit, emotions, mind, finances...all seem to rise and fall together to an extent.

As we were thrift store hopping the other day (which I'm kind of new to, but now will never pay retail prices again!), I came across a book called Body for Life for $.99. I couldn't resist. It looked kind of like all the other get fit, think positively kinds of books with corny before and after pictures inside the front cover. But I bought it anyway...and so far...it's been a great motivation. Don't worry...whether you like it or not...I'll keep you posted on the progress. So far, I have perfect attendance at my 6-day per week workout sessions. But that would certainly be due to the fact that it's day 1 of 84! If nothing else, I'll be in a little better shape when the cycling season comes around and it's time to ride across Indiana again!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bean,
Congratulations and good luck to you. Jen and I have just gotten back in the gym ourselves. A six month break from june to december was far too long. So far, Mark won't commit to being my lifting partner. He says he goes at 6 am when I go, but I've yet to see him. Just focus on the improvements your ministry can see through your bettered health. Stay with it. Dursty

MaryAnn Mease said...

hey there..havent seen your blog in a LONG time...
Body for Life...another blogger did that last year w success.

chrismarshall.blogspot.com

he could probably encourage you...he has run a couple half marathons since the BfLife