Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Monkey Bars Are Evil

Oh man...what a tough day. I was sitting in my office getting ready to meet with someone when Deb (my wife) called and I could hear my daughter crying in the background. She went to the park after school and was playing on the monkey bars when disaster struck. The bottom line...a broken arm. She fractured the humerus bone (hey, it's not funny!) just above her elbow but fortunately a simple cast for 6 weeks will do the trick. Interesting...every nurse and doctor at the ER commented on how monkey bars are probably the number one source of injuries for children (next was bikes and trampolines).

The whole saga brought back some childhood memories as I thought back to the time I jumped out of tree while playing tag with my brothers. I was determined not to let my little brother tag me so I lured him up the tree a little further planning to jump about 12 feet to the ground and escape his grubby little tag-happy fingers! Turns out I miscalculated the jump a bit and caught my foot on a little branch as I shoved away from the main limb. As my toe hung up on the branch, my head went from being the highest point on my body to being the first thing to hit the ground. I tried to break my fall with my hands and arms but that just caused me to break my wrist just before being knocked unconscious.

As I think back to that and many other physical traumas I experienced as a kid it doesn't seem too bad of an experience. But to be a dad and have your little girl get banged up and subjected to potentially serious injuries?! Makes me want to vomit.

No comments: