Sunday, September 11, 2005

LOST AGAIN

No...I'm not talking about the Ohio State Buckeyes...though that was a depressing loss for me (since I now work with a Texan who can be heard shouting "Hook'em Horns" down the hall). I'm not talking about Agassi's loss to Roger Federer today at the US Open either. Although I was really rooting for the old guy to pull it off (Andre is 35 and I'm almost 35. As I get older I find myself cheering on the more 'mature' athletes!)

Anyway...I got lost on my bike again this past Saturday. I should admit though that I don't really mind it. Really I should just call it "exploring" and not getting lost. I like to hop on the bike and just head in a particular direction. The problem is that I have this sense of what the roads should do in my mind. But often roads are not laid out in a logical grid-like way...so that's what throws me off. But this is the second time I've gone "exploring" on this one particular road. And on Saturday I just kept making the wrong decision when I had a chance to take a turn. My wife makes fun of me because in those situations I have a "feeling" about whether I'm headed in the right direction or not. And although I would "feel" like the decision was right...it took me further from where I wanted to be.

Finally I noticed that the sun was setting and the thought occurred to me to just head south...I knew that would take me to familiar territory. So as I looked to the sun...I was able to figure out my next move and finally came across the road I was looking for. My legs were starting to resist the commands to keep pumping at a steady pace, but as I churned along (now with confidence in my location) I thought of the spiritual implications and analogy. Aren't there times when we makes decisions based on what "feels" right? I know I do. And the frustration that sets in after making the wrong choices over and over...that gets downright maddening. But when I settle down and look up...(not just up directionally, but up spiritually)...I look to the Son and get my bearings. Then things become clear again. I love clarity!

No comments: