Friday, July 22, 2005

Tough Stuff

On the weekdays I get a great little snippet/essay from the following website (if you're interested)... www.dailydig.bruderhof.org

Today's opening paragraph struck me with one word in particular. Here's the quote...

"Discipleship means complete dedication. It demands everything - the whole heart, the whole mind, and the whole of life, including one's time, energy, and property - for the cause of love. Half-hearted Christianity is worse than no Christianity."

Can you pick out a word from that challenge which might be causing my discomfort? It's "property." That one seems to cross the line (from the perspective of my American materialistic and individualistic culture). Of course, the other two life-issues mentioned are not much easier...time & energy?? We just often assume that we're already on board with those. But again, how much of my time and energy is devoted to the whole-hearted pursuit of Christ?

It just never gets easy!

No comments: