Wednesday, July 06, 2005

From Migraine to My Gain

I have had two first-time experiences today which I need to reflect on here (more for my sake than yours.)

This morning as I began my shift at Starbucks steaming milk and pulling shots of espresso, I began to have some strange symptoms. As I glanced up at the screen to see what drinks I was making for the drive-thru customers, I noticed my vision becoming quite blurry and foggy around the edges. And just a minute or so later I began to feel dizzy, lightheaded, and nauseated. That taste crept up the back of my throat which seems to warn of more to come...the wrong direction! And then the pain set in right behind my right eye. I’m not the type to really get sick or have physically challenging moments like that, so it was very awkward yet very obvious to those I was working with. After battling those symptoms for about four hours and finishing my shift, I finally got back home and rested for a few hours. By the end of the day...all the symptoms were nearly gone thought I still had the sense of not feeling “quite right.” After doing some research online and talking to my wife about her mother and brother’s similar experience, I realized I had probably had my first migraine...yippee!!

My other first-time experience is still in progress. At this very moment, it is 2:43 a.m. and I seem to be having a spiritual awakening when I’d rather be sleeping. There have really only been three times in my life that I’ve had this sort of experience in which there is some obvious effort on God’s part to get my attention. These times have always preceded some sort of major transition such as moving, changing career, etc. Well, since I’m about four hours into this sleepness night of prayer and planning, I can’t completely reflect on what is transpiring. Hopefully I will know more soon!

No comments: