Monday, March 13, 2006

Good Time For a Bike

Eventually, I hope that I can join the ranks of those committed cyclists who stick to their wheels regardless of the weather. I've been rather reluctant to do much cycling during our cold and inclement weather patterns here in Ohio. Another issue is living in an area which is not bike friendly unless your on one of the bike paths. And fortunately, there are many miles worth of path riding in this community...but that doesn't always help when it comes to commuting and avoiding car dependence.

Yet, financial concerns are going to force my hand...or legs rather. It's almost to the point where you just begin to laugh in the face of adversity because the onslaught is so continuous. In the last six months, we've had about $3200 worth of car repairs and auto emergencies. I suppose that's the price you pay for having older paid-off vehicles. Fortunately, the in-laws covered one repair. Then we actually had an emergency fund in place to cover the second repair. We went into debt for a third repair. And now, the final and most recent bill facing us is anywhere from $500-$1100, depending on if we want the vehicle drivable or safe? With our decision to destroy our credit cards and never take on another cent of debt in that form, the only option is really to downsize into a one-vehicle arrangement. If the rain, snow, and wind will let up...I'm game!

Boy...if I could be sixteen all over again and apply all the financial lessons we've learned just in the last 6 months...I'd literally be a millionaire by now!

No comments: