Thursday, February 24, 2005

Religion As Neurosis

“I think that religion stops people from thinking.”

Is that statement self-contradicting? Religion obviously has Bill Maher thinking! That’s who made the above statement in an interview on Fox’s Scarborough County whatever. I’ll put a link below if you’d like to read more of his statements.

My first reaction to his words were kind of defensive and reactionary. As I think a little more about what he is saying, I feel a sense of pity because his alleged rationality is blinding him from seeing the truth about spiritual things. I would have to say that “religion” causes me to think quite a bit. And having started my college education with a double major in chemistry and physics, I also consider myself to have some great affection for science and the empirical method. But I’m not sure I’d be thinking very deeply at all if it were not for my evangelical faith-based perspective.

Unfortunately, I think that Maher is probably correct when he predicts that the influence of evangelicals will wane in the future. One can already observe that America is following the pattern of Europe’s transition towards being a post-Christian environment.

Another unfortunate partial-truth that the political humorist touches on is that many evangelicals, in fact, do not think. And that is detrimental to Christ’s Kingdom and mission. If the church is going to be relevant to the surrounding culture, a great deal of thinking needs to take place.

Here’s a link to the article...what do you think?

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=42906

1 comment:

jimi said...

While this is an interesting post, and i am fascinated by Maher and those who think like him (or fail to think beyond him, maybe more accurately)...i came to your blog today in eager anticipation to see what witty alliteration you were going to come up with for Wednesday's post (assuming that the trend for the past two days was not unintentional)...oh well.