Monday, February 21, 2005

Monday Morning Musings

Do you ever have those days in which you feel like you could walk through a barrage of bullets and emerge unscathed? Okay...me neither! But still...I must attribute where I'm at in the journey at this moment to the unmerited favor of God.

Some of you know this already, but I am in the midst of an extended fast. I don't share that for any kind of attention but for understanding. You will understand the underlying spiritual situation from which I'll be blogging in the next few days.

I am abstaining from any kind of "pure" or solid food. The only things I'm ingesting are water, juices, and an occasional herbal tea (for warmth mainly). The physical effects of fasting are very intriguing. But the spirital benefits of the fast are what's really got me jazzed. Obviously, I'm at a peek emotional moment right now. Within hours I could "crash" and be begging God to release me so I can run over to Chipotle. But I believe God has some very serious reasons for motivating me to fast during this Lenten season.

Lent (as I was reading from my brother's blog...check it out http://www.indychurch.org/archives/2005/02/this-thing-called-lent/

As I was saying....Lent is a time of preparation. It's a traditional time in which many Christians decide to give something up for a season. The question is all about motivation though. And that's what I'm still discovering...so I'll let you know when I stumble upon it. But I basically think this season should tune us in to the culture and compassion of Christ, that we might be an expression of that in the lives of others.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chris, I will be praying for you during this time of fasting and discernment. May you encounter the living Christ.