Friday, May 25, 2007

Organic Is In

It has become one of those words that you almost hate to use now because it's losing it's impact. But I'm really trying to understand the implications of living organically vs. ??? Not sure what to call the other ways...mechanically? programmatically? systematically? institutionally?

Kevin (my fellow Kingdom seeker) and I have been reading and discussing a book by Joseph Myers entitled "Organic Community" and it's really offering a bit of a corrective to the ways in which I've thought about community, small groups, relationships, and planning.

Master planning vs. Organic order

We're so guilty of this in the church...trying to plan it to the hilt, prescribe the right formula and model, force people into our interpretations of the Gospel message and its implications for living.

The question shifts from "where are we going?" to "what are we hoping for?"

The little shift from "where?" to "what?" is mega-significant. Just as the successory image/phrase suggests...success is not a destination, but the journey.

Well, that's what I'm thinking about right now.

This week I ended my 3-week hiatus from Starbucks and began enriching people's daily lives with espresso once again. It's so much more fun without the manager hat on!

Then I was pleasantly surprised to read how happy I am now as a "pastor." Research done by the University of Chicago’s National Opinion Research Center found that clergy ranked highest in job satisfaction and “general happiness.”

2 comments:

Katrina A. said...

I totally agree with the fact that the journey is sooo much more important than we tend to realize. Our destination is a given as Christians....nothing we can do to change that once we are servants of Jesus. But the journey we take to get there can be the difference in changing the lives of people or living our lives ineffectively.

It also means God is PATIENT with us even if we aren't always patient with one another on this journey. He takes us as we are and grow us in His time, not other people's time. Sorry, this is a HUGE deal to me, so I tend to be long-winded about it.

Anonymous said...

thanks for reading the book and commenting aobut it! May the organic order your life.

joe