Friday, February 23, 2007

Craving Clarity

For anyone who has followed my blog over the past year or so (hi, mom!)...you know that I have often cried out for clarity. It seems as though my life's path has been ambushed by ambiguity many times since we first ventured out of our ministry in Westerville. And here I sit again, at a crossroads of dismal discontentment.

However, I stumbled across some words (actually, I read the words quite intentionally) from Brennan Manning yesterday and again this morning in his book Ruthless Trust.

I don't have it with me now so I'll just have to paraphrase. He was actually quoting a man named Kavanaugh who had gone to Calcutta and asked Mother Teresa to pray for him. She asked him what he wished for her to pray and he said he desired clarity. She went on to refuse that prayer and prayed instead that he would trust God unfalteringly. She accused him of craving clarity over a trusting acceptance of God's provision.

It really struck me because I've prayed so many times for clarity and perhaps God continues to tell me...it's not clarity that I need but trust.

How many of my decisions over the past three years have been made out of a mistrusting heart? Have I really been taking my life and career into my own hands because I don't trust God (or the church) to provide? Now that God is bringing me face to face with my sin of mistrust, what will I do?

I'll start by praying for trust and being grateful for the wonderful love and grace the Father has lavished on us!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Very powerful Chris! Thanks for sharing.

A Friend,
Rob

Scott Porter said...

I think that is clarity. I like the quote and the discernment that was shown from Mother Teresa.

Stetlers said...

i read your blog. it inspires me.

David said...

I can't tell you how many times this post has come to my mind over the last few weeks. I've quoted it in interviews and I have discussed it with friends. This kingdom life always surprises me with simple truths. Thank you.