Saturday, August 13, 2005

Preference vs. Presence

First let me share an update on our journey of interviewing and searching for a new home church... We had a very informal but effective time of dialogue (interview) last night with a great team of church leaders. The setting was unusual in that we went to the pastor's home for dinner along with about 10 or 12 individuals serving as ministry leaders. As much as an interview could be, it was comfortable and informative. I think I got a feel for the vision of the church, some recent history, and perceived strengths. Many of the typical questions were launched towards me and I tried not to just regurgitate the 'right answers' but to use them as opportunities to share my values and non-negotiables in ministry. Although I'm sure the groups who have been interviewing with us perceive themselves as the interview-ers...I'm quite sure we've entered the process perceiving it the other way around. And so far...we've exerted some form of control over this process...but now that we've encountered a situation which seems to have God all over it...and just about every issue of vision, resources, spiritual authenticity, etc is in place...now we submit to the situation and pray for God to bring clarity!

Now for the part of this post which actually connects with the title...

I was invited to speak at a men's prayer breakfast this morning on the topic of worship and challenging men to encounter God in deeper ways (which applies to both genders actually). As I was preparing to speak and share this week, I kept hitting a "wall" because I was looking for something profound to say...from the latest book or worship guru. Finally the Spirit urged me to share the things I have personally been learning about worship lately.

I could sum that journey up in a couple of trite (yet meaningful) phrases. Worship is not about 'preference' (i.e. the style of worship that appeals to me) but about 'presence.' Worship is a response to God's presence...not just His presence in a building while music is playing and hands are being lifted...but His presence which can be celebrated daily in the 'jars of clay' in Spirit and in Truth (John 4). Worship is also about the daily cultivation of relational intimacy and passion for God. It's not about obligatory spiritual performance.

No comments: