Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Golfing: Friend or Foe?

I got to enjoy a beautiful morning while hacking out of a few sandtraps today. In celebration of a friend's birthday, we gathered early this morning at a nice course. It was an absolutely perfect day for golf even though my game was perfectly dreadful...especially the putting. My tee shots and mid-irons were all pretty good. Chipped it close a few times, but I couldn't sink a putt for anything. It has been quite awhile since I've played a round of golf. The fellowship and weather was terrific...but I'm not going to start sneaking back out to the course anytime soon...not when I can take that 3-4 hours and ride 60 miles...for free!

I had an interesting experience/observation yesterday while reading a good book. I was at the Easton outdoor mall which is just about 10 minutes from our house. They have built a very nice quad-type area with a fountain which provides a nice park-like setting with benches right in the middle of all the restraunts and shops. As I was sitting on a bench reading some Brian McLaren...several children were squealing, jumping, and running through the fountain area. It must have some sort of random setting which causes various spouts to shoot water about six or eight feet into the air. These kids were running from side to side across the spray zone trying to outwit the water and avoid the cool refreshing eruptions.

At one point, I got totally distracted from my reading while listening to the unihibited joy being displayed for all to see by these children. A group of about ten little kids were enjoying the fountain with a group of about 50 or so individuals walking by or sitting at a nearby outdoor cafe or seated at the other benches around the square. I thought of Jesus' words when He said that the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to such as these. When was the last time I just bathed in the joy of laughter or frivolity? When did I last abandon myself to completely enjoying the company of others? of my children? of God in worship?

After a few minutes of reflection I tuned the laughter out and returned to my book...and my inhibited formal style of being. But something in me longed to throw the book down and jump in the water with those kids! I wish I had been that courageous!

2 comments:

John said...

Chris,

I've been lurking around your site for a while now. I wanted you to know that many of your peers are dealing with issues similar to those that you've posted on your site. I'd love to grab lunch with you sometime to hear more (before you move away, the commute might be a little bit much for me!).

Oh, one other thing, if you jumped in the water with the kids you'd probably end up on a sexual predator website! I guess you should just keep reading your book. :-) Peace,

JB

John said...

Chris,

I don't know why but I thought you were moving to Chicago! Dayton isn't that much farther than Westerville for me. Let me know when you get settled in and I'll come over there for lunch. Peace,

JB