Monday, August 22, 2005

Much Brewing Over Starbucks

My brother just sent me an interesting article with some harsh criticism of Starbucks. Since I've been a Starbucks Partner (employee) for almost a couple of years now...I've had to field a lot of questions about my affiliation with the liberal purveyor of lattes. Here's a link http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=45694o the article which I think is a good call for discernment.

Without doing a great deal of research on it however...I can assure you that Starbucks does not hate children anymore than the Catholic Church hates children (which has been much more responsible for damage to children than Starbucks.) Starbucks does a great deal in the local communities as well as in the global communities to demonstrate otherwise. Just to name a few things I've been involved in personally...Starbucks collects toys for seriously (terminally) ill children around the holidays, sponsors kid-friendly events which raise money for environmental and social causes, and puts millions of dollars towards literacy campaigns for children. (Unfortunately, I'm not being paid to defend Starbucks) Although my Starbucks journey is practically over...I do take great PRIDE in the company and most of the values which they promote.

Now, having said that...I don't agree with any support which Starbucks is giving to the Gay and Lesbian agenda, Planned Parenthood, or any other groups which work against what I would hold to be biblical family values. (Why not support heterosexual and monogamous relationship oriented events which would bolster the success of marriage and family--a value held by many Starbucks customers?) But I do not consider the gay & lesbian community to be the cesspool of moral deprivation which most conservative evangelical Christians do. I have met some homosexual individuals during my journey with Starbucks who are closer to the Kingdom than many heterosexual hypocrites I've been going to church with for years! I believe the church is so full of sin that uniting against the "big" sin of homosexuality provides some kind of anesthetic arrogance which gives the deceptive sensation of enjoying God's favor and grace.

Before I get carried away any further, let me just say that if you're looking for dirt you'll find it. One problem I have with Meghan Kleppinger's article is that she (and most Christians) miss the economic injustice and social injustice which is a far greater problem in God's eyes (read the prophets). Don't think in terms of the $4,000 given to the irresponsible Coffee Corporation...but think in terms of the irresponsible Christian who has spent at least $4,000 in luxuries without being concerned about starving children or aids-infected babies or whatever?! That's the kind of Kingdom stuff Jesus might be more concerned with in this whole debate.

So yes...I will continue to purchase and consume Starbucks' beverages. Kleppinger's article and her lifestyle choice is one to be respected though. I can certainly appreciate someone who is willing to take a stand somewhere...whether or not I stand beside them.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being the brother that sent you the link, I got exactly what I was looking for in your response. I knew you'd have an eye-opening, and soul-searching viewpoint on the matter. Thanks again big bro!

Anonymous said...

preach it :)

Mr. Bill said...

agreed

Anonymous said...

While I agree with most of your comments, I think you missed one of the main points of the article. The author didn't get really upset until she read that the event was sponsoring a children's area. Your comments are accurate in pointing out the hypocrasy of individuals... sins are sins, whether committed by homosexuals or churchmembers.

However, the problem was that this event was going far beyond individual sin. The event organizers planned on teaching children that it is ok to sin... which is wrong. In fact Jesus reserved his harshest language for those who would pervert children....

"but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to stumble, it would be better for him that a huge millstone should be hung around his neck, and that he should be sunk in the depths of the sea. (Matthew 18:6 WEB)"

But, I don't agree with her conclusions either. Giving up Starbucks will hardly keep the event organizers from teaching children to sin. But did Starbucks know about the chilren's area?

Chris said...

"Did Starbucks know about the children's area?"

I don't know...perhaps a letter to Starbucks is in order for those who have serious issues like this...which I agree need to be addressed.

But part of my post-modern transition has included a relinquishment of the need to prove my point or case. I mostly agree with you...I pretty much agree with me. I can live with that.