Thursday, August 04, 2005

Fishing & Fasting

Actually, I have discovered that these two disciplines (yes, fishing is a spiritual discipline) go quite well together. As long as you don't take food with you in the boat...and as long as you're commited to not eating raw fish...the relationship is complimentary.

So I set out on a mission yesterday with the canoe strapped to the top of my Ford Focus and a hunger to encounter God. There's just something spiritual and therapeutic about sitting out on a fairly large body of water with the wind as the dominant force being applied to your vessel. (I very much envy those on the sailboats as I'm paddling my obliques off!) As I sat back against the center seat of my canoe and soaked in the Son...I sensed confirmation in the direction that our family is heading. I was also able to finalize a "no" for one particular ministry context which had become available to us. Besides that, I caught about ten little half-pound bass and one that about two pounds or so. With my light pole and light test line...it was a lot of fun to bring that fiesty one in.

Well, today I'm off to further a conversation which might lead us to a great healthy and exciting church...or it may just sharpen my focus towards a specific model of youth ministry which I'm growing more and more passionate about. Regardless...I'm just so grateful that God is giving us/me patience with this process and providing just enough guidance for each day.

No comments: