Friday, January 11, 2008

Reflecting on "A Generous Orthodoxy"


I was inspired, by not just one or two friends, to set a goal of reading 52 significant books in 2008. By significant, I simply mean books that have real potential to shape my thinking and experiences. (For example, a friend has recommended a book by Ted Dekker...which may be an entertaining and/or intriguing read...but I don't consider it "significant"...sorry, Ted).

The first book I selected was "A Generous Orthodoxy" by Brian D. McLaren. I've owned the book for over a year and it's literally been on my "to read" shelf at home...but it remained there until now. Perhaps the risk of identifying with McLaren and other folks 'emergent' has drawn me in since I hear plenty of attacks from the religiously conservative. In an attempt to speak intelligently of Emergent writings, narrative theology, and various other postmodern approaches to spirituality I continued being compelled to relieve the shelf of its weight. Finally, the selfish desire to know if I truly identified with Brian's writings and ideas along with the pursuit of a first-hand knowledge of his words would serve me well in an attempt to respond to many complaints aimed at similarly emergent leaders. Some of these critiques include universalism, relativistic pluralism, pantheism, and other cool words I can't remember right now.

To sum up my perspective on this book...I highly recommend it. As Brian concludes the book, I think he makes some great statements regarding what it means to even pursue orthodoxy (right or straight thinking). Here's a great paragraph from his final chapter:

"To be a Christian in a generously orthodox way is not to claim to have the truth captured stuffed, and mounted on the wall. It is rather to be in a loving (ethical) community of people who are seeking the truth (doctrine) on the road of mission (witness, as McClendon said) and who have been launched on the quest by Jesus, who, with us, guides us still....That to me is orthodoxy--a way of seeing and seeking, a way of living, a way of thinking and loving and learning that helps what we believe become more true over time, more resonant with the infinite glory that is God."


I'm interested to read more of Brian's books in order to uncover any sufficient evidence for some of the labels which so far seem to be wrongfully attached to him (such as universalist etc). My goal here is not to present a formal 'review' of each book but just to give a quick reflection and reaction to it. There are highlights and scribbles and underlines on nearly every page, so it would be impossible to share a comprehensive report on everything that impressed, impacted, and challenged me.

This book has given me hope for a new way (not so polarized or exclusive) to lead people in the way of Jesus. I would describe this 'generous orthodoxy' as an humble approach to the mission of sharing the Good News. It's not that the truth is up for grabs, but our culturally embedded and institutionally conditioned perspectives and interpretations are NOT the Gospel. Simply stated...Jesus and His ways ARE the Gospel.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

chris: i love the picture! i am glad you enjoyed reading brian's book. i have gone back and read it a couple more times. last year i was at a seminar at the a.g. seminary and i mentioned brian mclaren to ed stetzer of the southern baptist conv. and he thought i would get a laugh with him when he referred to brian as neither generous nor orthodox; i din't laugh. i look forward to hearing more about the books you make it through in 2008. i intend to read a pretty big variety - so i am sure some will not fall under the category of significant.

Anonymous said...

You should read his book "Everything Must Change: Jesus, Global Crisis, and a Revolution of Hope" I'm in the middle of it and it's definitely challenging my thinking about the way we deal with crisis on a global level.

Anonymous said...

O.K. I don't doubt Brian has some challenging things to say in regard to the current status of Christianity. But In my opinion, Brian has gone too far. I am not alone in analysis. Len Sweet has departed from Brian on some major issues, including Brian's newly packaged version of liberation theology. There is also a not so flattering review of Brian's other book, Everything Must Change, at: http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2008/january/24.59.html. I predict that Brian will not lasting impact on the Church. He has become polarizing in some instances and needlessly provocative in others. As I continue to watch him from a far, I remained unimpressed with his approach. Excuse me for saying this, but maybe Brian is the one who needs to change.

Chris said...

So Bob...have you read Brian's books? Because I'm really not even going to have serious conversations with anyone who's just taking a "he said, she said" or Len said approach to someone's writings. What happen to Leonard anyway? I haven't heard a peep out of him for 2 or 3 years now.

Can you explain this newly packaged version of liberation theology and what's theologically or biblically unsound about it? And I'm not sure any of us white American males should even raise a blood-stained finger towards someone for which liberation has been a serious issue.

If I only agreed with what comes out of Christianity Today's religious spin machine...I certainly wouldn't even be reading Brian's stuff.

Polarization? The religious and theological landscape is already as polarized as possible...my take on Brian's approach in "Generous Orthodoxy" is that he genuinely wants these polarized camps to meet on as much common ground as possible.