Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Loving Wisdom, Loving Life


Since I just finished a lecture on Rene Descartes...I could not resist this little cartoon.

My recent transition towards teaching and campus ministry has brought me to at least one new realization. I really enjoy philosophy. Of course, it's rather unfortunate that I didn't pay more attention in my undergrad philosophy courses so that I might be a little more prepared to teach on the subject. But the intense reading and catching up has been fairly enjoyable.

Preparing for my first triathlon has been the second largest consumer of my time and schedule recently. As I get closer to the event, my workouts span 3 to 4 hours and have actually become nearly as enjoyable as they are long.

Apparently, I have some kind of pathology which just pushes me towards new and extreme experiences. Perhaps that explains the masochistic yet Epicurean pleasure which studying philosophy has brought to me as well.


My first swim/bike/run event will be the Xterra Off-Road Triathlon in Memphis, TN Saturday April 18th. The race consists of a 1-mile swim, an 18-mile mountain bike course on the Tour de Wolf and Wolf River Trails and a 10k trail run.

I've yet to swim a real good mile, so I'm a little nervous about that part of it. But the other distances shouldn't be a problem. That will be the first of 4 or 5 tri-events this year for me...so I canNOT wait!

No comments: