Monday, October 23, 2006

My Achin' Glutes

So I had a great leg workout at Gold's before heading over to Starbucks. Doing that right before an 8-hour shift is not what I'd call ideal timing. But I was glad to get back to the gym after missing a coupld of days. We spent Friday/Saturday with the younger bro and his family in Indy. Good times, I must say!

Tomorrow I am supposed to meet with my District Manager and another DM in the area for a sort of interview. I'm hoping to make the jump back to an assistant manager role for Starbucks. That would sure help our case financially...especially if I can get my store back into the "bonus" realm! Then I would hope to be bumped up to a position as store manager by next summer if not earlier. A year or two as a store manager should be good preparation for becoming a district manager. Then perhaps one more jump up to regional director in 2012 to finish up the Starbucks journey. Should be fun.

In the meantime, I'm very close to finishing my certification with ACE in order to start some personal training on the side. I have to knock out a CPR class next weekend and then take a 3-hour exam in early November. About two more weeks of studying should do the trick. Once I'm certified, I'll either try to start training some clients at Gold's or get connected with another gym in the Norwood/Silverton area. I have a Starbucks connection which could help out a latte!

Now on to spiritual concerns. To follow-up with my last post, let's just say I've taken someone's suggestion to relax a bit and give God and myself some time to adjust to all the transitions we're still navigating. It's a relief to think that I don't have to "fix" this problem immediately. Instead, I'll just take advantage of opportunities to cultivate some community here and there and allow God to work through some relationships and friendships for the time being.

Unfortunately though...I had a difficult worship experience this morning. I'm trying to do what feels to me to be the "right thing" and attend a gathering which I'm not crazy about. I want to give it more time because it does seem to be a good fit for our family as a whole. But I had some issues with the message as well as the worship and the whole environment to be truthful. I'm sure there's a part of me that pretty much wants to be part of a different gathering...so it's hard to be objective. I'll keep trying...so all the Nazarene loyalists will be happy! (just messing with you guys... ;-)

Blessings,
Chris

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! We don't know each other I don't think, but my husband and I are in the process of attempting a Nazarene "NewStart" in Northside and I come across your blog and thought I would say hi. I resonate with a lot of your feelings about community and the atmosphere of a lot churches, especially new Nazarene churches. I'm under the impression you are attending a new start, is there one in Norwood? I'm not aware. Hope you continue to gain peace in your situation. God bless!

Mr. Bill said...

Sorry we missed you this weekend. I was surprised to hear you and Deb had visited my friends in Norwood. Good people to be around.

Chris said...

Joni B...the newstart we've been sporadically attending is Lifespring in Milford, OH.
We've been alternating between there and a Vineyard gathering in Norwood/Cincinnati. Where is Northside??
Thanks for the encouraging words.

Anonymous said...

Northside is right between College Hill and Clifton. Hamilton Ave. runs straight through it and then turns into Ludlow in Clifton. Don't know if that's helpful, but it's the only way I really know how to descibe it. It's a really unique neighborhood, very diverse, and full of art and community (along with all the typical problems of an inner city neighborhood). We have been working with the youth at a Presbyterian church there for about a year and really felt that there was a need for a new church in the neighborhood as a lot of the older churches have closed or are closing. We just love it there and really want to start a church that can have the close intimacy of house churches with the more public outreach of a traditional church.

I thought Lifespring was the only newstart that was in this general area. Thats why I was curious.
I've heard a lot of good things about the Vineyard gathering in Norwood. I hope you are able to find a place to fit, it's difficult to be in between places sometimes.