Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Man of Extremes

Yeah...as I read back over my post from last night...I regret that emotional outburst. In my quest for personal fitness and a certification as a trainer, I've learned a bit about muscular anatomy and how muscle fibers work. They operate by the all-or-nothing principle. A muscle fiber either fully exerts itself or isn't activated at all (cardiac and vascular muscle tissue is different). I often feel like I operate by the same all-or-nothing principle. For some reason, I've not been real good at balance lately...emotional or spiritual.

Is anyone watching Studio 60? I think the way they're dealing with Christianity is pretty interesting. The writers definitely identify at least two versions of Christianity. One is ultra-conservative, political, evangelical, and pretty unattractive. The other is something that apprears to be a little more authentic, compassionate, inclusive, and gracious. That dichotomy has been around a very long time. So why didn't the early followers of Christ just remain Jewish and incarnationally reform the church of the day? Why was it necessary to break fellowship with all those God-fearing, God-honoring synagogue occupants?! Jesus didn't come to start a new church did he? Jesus wasn't a Christian...he was a Jew.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Either way (all or nothing) you have people who love and care about you.

teaii said...

Peter....Paul....Luther....Wesley....Bresee....the list could go on and on. and as someone pointed out to me, isn't a bit arrogant to assume we can change the institution? isn't that God' place? perhaps he could use us, but if we don't sense that call?

i agree with your take on studio 60 - i like how they're handling christianity so far and i'll be interested to see the characters develop. right now there's almost too many characters - i look forward to getting to know some of them better.

ah, lunch is over. back to teaching. Æ

mako said...

Dude I love Studio 60, and I am also a big West Wing fan. Sorkin obviously is trying to rebel against the Christian right and show that being a liberal christian makes sense. He has the same theme in most of the episodes of the West Wing. I enjoy his in your face way of dealing with those issues. I love the fact that it is a TV show that doesnt care about offending the Christian right, that is about a TV show that doesnt care about offending the Christian right. I also love Bradley Whitford in this and the West Wing. He is pretty much the person that I see myself being if I were in either of those positions. It is funny that all I can remember him in before either of these is Billy Madison.
Hope all is well

Brandon Sipes said...

I'm confused. Teaii listed 5 people who all either changed or created new institutions...then says its arrogant to assume we can change them....can I get clarification?

Studio 60 is real good.

Mr. Bill said...

Initially, Christians were a sect of Judaism. Its my understanding that there wasn't an immediate across the board evacuation of the synagogue by these new kinds of Jews. I'm sure most of them stayed until they were no longer welcome or until it became clear to them that they had to pick between Jesus and Judaism.

Scott Porter said...

Remember a few months ago when we talked about how we are our own worst critics and man (literally MEN) have this issue on providing and God may have another way of thinking about it. Good to try and get connected again. Will call soon.