Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Let the waiting continue

My last post was about waiting...and here I am again.

There is certainly a dark side of the internet. I should have been completely content to sip my Anniversary Blend at the Starbucks just a few hundred yards down the terminal from Northwest gate 63. But the allure and seduction of tapping into a great force of world-wide communication sucked me in. The laptop slithered from it's padded lair and hissed into action. Before I knew it, I had opened myself up to the hypnotic stare of the one-eyed VAIO.

With about 45 minutes before my flight was to board...I hit bloglines and began to catch up on some friends and their blogs thinking I had plenty of time. Suddenly I had this panic attack of time-management anxiety. Sure enough...I had lost track of the time as I was reading, commenting, and following a few rabbit trail links. I threw the serpent back in the bag with a tangled mass of cords and began walking briskly back down the terminal. As I was selected for a more thorough screening...I knew it was going to be too late. I told the screener/agent I was trying to catch the 8:25 flight to Indy and he apathetically replied, "Oh...they already closed the door on that flight since all flights leave ten minutes prior to departure time?"

So I found the next earliest route to Indianapolis (through Detroit) and returned to the gate...to wait some more. Instead of arriving at 10:55am in Indy...it will be more like 2:45pm. It reminds me that much of our waiting and struggle (not that all waiting is a bad thing) comes as a result of our own choices. I think of the other "waiting" which is going on in our lives...
Waiting to get back on track with Starbucks management...
Waiting to get out of debt...
Waiting to find where we'll deepen our roots...
Waiting on the wind of the Spirit to fill my sails once again--which I know is more about waiting on my own attempts to position the sails properly.
Waiting for the restoration of contentment and joy
Waiting....

Well, one kind of waiting is nearing an end...they just started boarding my alternate flight. I better bag the beast and report for stand-by.

1 comment:

=)Bnpositive said...

Being the one that's been entrusted with your trusty steed, Focus. I'll be seeing you in a couple of hours. Sounds like the security guy was a bit confused, planes don't leave 10 minutes prior to departure, if so, what's the purpose of a departure time. They may close the doors 10 minutes prior, but they should have let you on.