Monday, September 18, 2006

Holiness Codes and Organic Church

About every third or fourth article on this site is definitely worth reading. Here's one that deals with "holiness codes" and the destructive legalistic view on alcohol and tobacco. I'm not about to say that all the "holiness" folk need to stop at the pub on the way home or go buy a pipe...but isn't it interesting how unbiblical (or extra-biblical I should say) our prohibitory stand is on these issues?! One could easily proof text a few verses regarding sexual activity and produce complete chastity as being a step on the path to "holiness." And as the article mentions...all the while we're stuffing our faces and ignoring the poor, spending our money in ways which continue the unfair labor practices and substandard wages (doesn't the Bible say the worker is worth his/her wages?).

On a fairly different subject...I continue to read through Organic Church (by Neil Cole). He continues to emphasize the organic nature of the Kingdom of God which is evident in many of Jesus' parables. The parable of the farmer and the seed seems to indicate that planting and spreading seed is our main task. However, in Cole's estimation, most churches (especially the megachurches) are spending most of their time, energy, and efforts in trying to make things grow...finding the right program, implementing the right discipleship/small-group/assimilation strategy, investing in the weekly EVENT rather planting good seed or even preparing adequately for a harvest.

Now, I'm not competely comfortable with everything Cole is saying...for instance, he really seems to be tearing down one method of church planting just to propogate another method. Although the method he is talking about seems to be very true to scripture and the early church's practices...still, I'm not sure it's healthy or helpful to say that true organic and biblical churches or movements are going to multiply like crazy and spread throughout a city in about three weeks. To me, that's missing the point that an organic process is one that takes time, the right conditions, proper environment and climate, etc...

1 comment:

mako said...

Chris,
I enjoy your blog. I checked out the article that you mentioned and here is what came to me.
I think that next time the church wants to have a get together we should have a wine/hookah party. Seriously, I love this point because sometimes the churchs uses something like food as a "bridge" (no offense to my co-workers
) to community, when as far as I can tell overeating has equal effects to over drinking, and over tobaccoing. This is obviously a point that many people have figured out before me, but I have just come to a point in my life over the last 2 years where I am no longer willing to accept that something is wrong because it has always been worng, but no one can sufficiently back up why.
I suppose also that I should throw in a disclaimer for those blog spys out there, that I dont think it is a necessity for people to do those things, and so if a person is under the employment of an institution that is against those things, they should probably abstain, but thinking through what holiness really is should not be discouraged.
I should probably also say that since you wrote this blog, I am going to have to spread the rumor that you are a closet alcoholic nicotene addict. 'Cause gossip is ok, right?
Blessings on your fitness goals. I feels good to reach them, so I hope that for you.
I hope your family is well.
Anthony