Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Back in the Saddle

It was the perfect culmination of climate, time, and passion.
Yes...another kayak story...I couldn't help myself.
These trees are usually 4-6 feet away from the waterline.

I had a small crowd of onlookers sending me off from the VFW down in Old Milford. I think they just wanted to get a good look in case there was search party later! ;-) (just kidding, Mom...I'm fine!)










This is a little spot where the East Fork branch and the main river (Little Miami) converge. To my right is a large bank-wall that leads up to a nice green on Terrace Park CC's golf course. You usually can't see up over the bank...but this time I've got a good view of the green.




I took a chance with my camera here...and propped it on a little shelf of roots. I'm so vain!







This is my first time being on the water as it's getting dark...although a canoe trip with my brother and his son came pretty close.

The water, the trees, and other shapes in the mist start a get a bit creepy in the dark! Plus I was a little concerned about not seeing my pull-out spot and calling Deb from downtown Cincinnati or Louisville the next day....ha!


There's just something so peaceful and soothing about being on the water though. And it's always a great time for prayer. The first 30 minutes of the trip was in real choppy water...great fun! The last half still had a swift current, but it really widens out as you get close to the Ohio River.







My camera doesn't do real well in low-light situations...but this is coming up on the route 52 bridge. Soon after is the Kellogg Ave bridge which signals one of my last chances to get out before I run into a barge on the Big River.

Last time I paddled this distance, it took between 4-5 hours. With the extra water volume tonight it only took about 2! Good times.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

looks like a blast!