Saturday, February 16, 2008

Imagination and Energy


I can remember being encouraged to read this book many years ago by one of my spiritual mentors in college...Rick Ryding. And then several of my younger friends who discipled with Rick at Mount Vernon touted the text as well.

It's my third or fourth book so far this year (I'm about 3 books behind!) and I'm not quite finished with it, but I really am enjoying what Brueggemann proposes.

Of course, we tend to interpret everything (including God's Word) through the lens of our own culture, conditioning, and biases...but I feel as though the author could've written these words 30 days ago rather than 30 years ago.

Although the first chapter was a difficult start (very academic and verbose) I am definitely tracking with his interpretation of the prophetic voice and the ways in which it impacts ministry in whatever current context one may be. Basically, the prophetic voice is to be one which 'criticizes' and 'energizes' God's people. Another way to put it...as Christ followers, we need to recognize the impact of the dominant consciousness (culture and ethic) and imaginatively voice an alternative which is rooted in the hope of what is already but not yet in Christ.

I believe you could correlate Brueggemann's concept of 'royal consciousness' with either our American cultural in general but also at times with our religious American culture. And I don't think it's just about conventional or emergent blah, blah, blah. What every Christian needs to do on a continual basis is think critically about whether they're living under the reign of God or under the reign of some other dominant 'king' and respond accordingly.

For me personally, I am constantly wrestling with the issue of consumerism. At what point does my abundance cross the line? Can I justify the purchase of an HD TV? an upgraded cell phone? a $100 paddle for my kayak? I really don't think God wants us to live in poverty...but where's the line?

Another big issue for me right now is the abuse of animals and how my food choices support an industry of animal cruelty? Could I actually give up meat? Holy cow...I'm not so sure!

I could think of a few more personal issues to bring up without hope of resolution, but you get the idea. If we are to live under an 'alternate consciousness' and be prophetic voices of hope to those who see nothing but the present reality or who cannot sing the song of covenant joy...what does that look like?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

chris: i would like to give that one a go. it sounds like you have been reading greg boyd's blog. :) later, rob

Unknown said...

Ah, Brueggemann! Like a warm spring rain. Great book.

David said...

John and I are going to see Brueggemann at MVNU on March 4, you are welcome to join us there.

http://www.mvnu.edu/news/PressReleases/0708/brueggemann.asp