Friday, February 08, 2008

The 2 of Spades...at last


Well, my 2008 goal to read 52 books (at least) has experienced a major setback. But alas...I'll catch up. And for some reason, I got distracted in the middle of a great book by N.T. Wright.

This is my first experience with N.T. Wright and it certainly lived up to my expectations. Here's the book in a nutshell (which is meant metaphorically and not literally...a great discussion towards the end of the book).

With just the 'wright' amount of English wit and flavor, the author presents a great overview of what you could describe as historic Christianity. He employs a frame for the discussion with the four sides being: Spirituality-Truth, Beauty, Relationships, and Justice. The sound of a 'divine echo' reverberates in all of God's image bearers which becomes a thirst or need within to see things set right in the world (in the case of justice). In a chapter discussing relationships, Wright says,
We shouldn't be surprised that when we think of human relationships, we find ourselves hearing the echo of a voice, even if, as in Genesis, the voice is asking 'Where are you?'
Part 2 of the book is great look at the doctrines of God, the Son, and the Spirit while part 3 goes on to discuss what feels like some more practical or ecclesial matters of application. Great insights on worship, prayer, the Bible, evangelism, and other implications of our spiritual world view make the last few chapters very engaging. I'll wrap up my kudos for this edition with more more lengthy quote:
Worship, fellowship, and the work of reflecting God's kingdom into the world flow into and out of one another. You can't reflect God's image without returning to worship to keep the reflection fresh and authentic. In the same way, worship sustains and nourishes fellowship; without, fellowship quickly deteriorates into groups of the like-minded, which in turn quickly become exclusive cliques--the very opposite of what Jesus' people should be aiming at.
This a great verbal rendition of an image I shared recently with our community. I'll touch that up and talk about it soon perhaps.

I will definitely put another N.T. Wright book on my list for this year...probably 'Challenge of Jesus.'

3 comments:

Unknown said...

chris: i would love to give that one a read sometime. i have read a few chapters in our local barnes-n-nobles. i am planning to tackle tom's three big works sometime this year. i think they are each about 800 pages plus footnotes. tom wright rocks!!!

throw in a couple of kids books and before you know it you will be done with the spades and be into the hearts.

Anonymous said...

Chris,

I'm reading Wright's book too! You should enroll in a D.Min. program, we are reading everything you are! Why not get credit towards a degree for doing it?

Anyway, N.T. Wright is eloquent, but I have some major issues with his theology. For example, he hardly deals with substitutionary atonement. In fact, he hardly makes mention of the sacrificial system of the old testament which set the stage for Jesus and his atoning sacrifice. Wright deals forthrightly with the Temple, but seems to stress the role of the Temple in bringing Heaven to earth.

I have renewed appreciation for the sacrificial system since I am reading through Leviticus. It has caused me to reconsider the seriousness of sin. Cambria recently said to me, "Aren't you glad your weren't a priest in the O.T.!" Yeah, I am. What a bloody mess that would be. Nonetheless, I see beauty in the sacrificial system as it points to Christ. And I can't fathom why Wright and others barely give it a mention. I'll keeping looking for its mention but I don't think it's in there. Just for the record, I believe whole heartedly in the blood redemption of our Lord and feel it deserves more attention. I guess I feel it is too significant to omit.

In Chapter 8, he talks about rescue and renewal. But there is hardly a paragraph that mentions the actual work of the cross. To me this is tragic, because the cross informs our way of life. There is a cross for every Christian. Moreover, see Rev. 5:9.

Could this also be why Wright is very light on matters of personal sin and repentence? Neither does he mention heaven and hell very often. And Jesus was by no means light on these matters.

Anyway, my gut feeling is that Wright will never hold a torch to C.S. Lewis! I'm not saying his book will do more harm than good, but I think we must accept Wright's contribution with the understanding that it misses the mark at some very critical theological points. He has over 200 pages to make his case, and I'm just not sure he does. Though His echoes of a voice are fine contributions that I appreciate.

Sorry for stirring things up, but isn't that what these blogs are for? I welcome your comments.

joe said...

hey chris,

n.t. wright is on it. he is a voice sorely missed in the evangelical world. good on ya for reading it.