Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Future Adventure

It was the most beautiful day of the year so far...and I wasn't able to get on the bike. Argh! I left my helmet and pump in Batesville. I'll be there tomorrow to tie up a few loose ends after my morning shift at Starbucks.

Tonight makes 4 nights in a row at home with my girls...priceless!

I went kayak shopping today but didn't find the one I was looking for. The time for adventure and wilderness is coming. Whether it's a section of the Appalachian trail, a bike ride along the coast, or kayaking from Cincinnati to New Orleans...I haven't completely decided. But it's time to stop talking about adventure and embrace it.

My church-y question or thought for today is this? Are we just perpetuating an anemic powerless and helpless bunch of Christians by making church all about the worship event on Sundays? A person can attend church for months or years and never grow spiritually. I know some of that is just totally up to the individual, but by investing more in a one-hour event than into individual relationships...we're not helping are we?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you'd really like a kayak, but can I encourage you to stop spending money on this stuff. Stay focused on the objective at hand first, let's get ourselves out of debt.

Katrina A. said...

I struggle with that "church" question myself at times, but I have to say that in my baby christian years, had I not had church and a group of Christian friends, I don't know that I would have made it. Now it doesn't play such a large role in my well being, but for some people it keeps them afloat while they get their berrings. I think the problem with church develops when people forget that the pastor is just a man and start setting him up as their God. Then they forget that God is there 7 days a week.

Anonymous said...

No one seems to understand a case of wanderlust anymore. A few nights away (even a week) is not the same as everynight away for weeks on end. No one also seems to understand that your waderlust could be a way of retreating for you, just you, God and the river. Something that being away because of work was not and could not provide. Even Jesus went away from everyone from time to time. Be responsible in the expenditure and have an awesome time with God on the river is what I say. But be safe.