Sunday, March 11, 2007

Birthdays & Batesville



This past week presented a couple of coming-of-age experiences. One was turning 36 a few days before my youngest daughter turned 4. We've had several birthday meals and special family gatherings which culminated in a big dinner this evening. Jaquey got a few more cute Strawberry Shortcake outfits and pajamas along with a Strawberry Shortcake scooter! Yeah...lots of excitement and skinned knees and hands to come.


I received several clothing items as gifts which made me reflect a bit. Since joining Deb's family 12+ years ago...I could probably count on 1 or 2 hands the times I've needed to go out and buy myself any clothes. My wonderful mother-in-law has probably purchased 85% of the clothes I own!


The other coming-of-age experience was less pleasant. I suppose it will end up categorized as one of those life lessons which we tend to learn the hard way. Early in January I took on the promotion and assignment of opening a new store for Starbucks in Batesville, Indiana. Over the past 2 months, I got to know dozens of wonderful people and absolutely worked my tail off to get Starbucks off the ground in that little casket-producing town. But the time I was spending away from Deb and the girls just got to be too unbearable. And any financial benefits of taking advantage of this opportunity were eaten up with the overhead of rent, food, and transportation. So we decided to pull the plug and say a quick goodbye to my new Batesville buddies. That was tough...but certainly the right decision.


I've really had enough of this learning the hard way over the past few years!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was really nice reading through your post...and the past week surely was filled with a lot of excitement for you...well on this note i'd also like you to drop by my blog on Birthday Celebrations sometimes and check out some of the ideas and resources i've posted there!!!