Thursday, March 15, 2007

Blogger Defense

Les tours de La Défense et la Grande Arche


Obviously, blogging can often be a lesson in humility. It's a bit like asking for it. However, in my last post, the content I was hoping to get some retort on was mainly ignored. And although I'd like to lay down the mantle of self-defense or convincing...there may be an opportunity to say something helpful here.
First of all, my brother chastised my financial irresponsibility. Since our entire family has known nothing but monetary struggle, debt, and fiscal irresponsibility...it's certainly an area of opportunity for accountability. I received his remarks in a bristling manner but concur with his assessment. A kayak would indeed be a luxury at this time (as would be Chappy's motorcycle dang'it).
I suppose Mr. Durst's assessment was even more prickly under my saddle. Although Greg's comment was a pretty good response on both issues...I want to point out a problem.
Equating working 70-80 hours/week with success or "providing" for the family...that's a problem.
Denying that an engaged, passionate, refreshed, and spiritually healthy father/husband is of great value.
Projecting only an occasional negative voice into someone's life...is a problem.
Now I shouldn't overlook Katrina who focused in on the most relevant and pressing content. And I'm always intrigued when someone drops a comment out of nowhere like that (just meaning I don't know Katrina). But it's so cool to track down a blog or just a little info from the profile/bio and get a glimpse into someone else's story. Blessings on your journey.
I agree at least in part with Katrina's assessment that the church acts as a kind of spiritual triangulating device. Perhaps like the law...which perhaps is more helpful to the transgressor (awakening an awareness of sin) than to the trusting deciple who is guided internally by love rather than with external regulations.
But I wonder that the disconnect between "church" and her current "well being" exists because the church experience is less Kingdom (love) and more institution (law) than it should be? And that comes back to what I'm questioning again in my present context...are we promoting the institution more than we are promoting a transformed life in Christ with others?
As for Greg...thanks for your encouragement to embrace some adventure in a safe manner.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for understanding what I tried to say.

What are you going to do now that you left the Batesville store? I hear they are opening one on Five Mile . . .

Katrina A. said...

Are we talking about the church as a whole here, or church that you have personally experienced? My husband and I have moved a lot over the last ten years and been part of a lot of churches. I have to say that those we saw who focused on the institution of the church as the most important part of Christianity left a horrible taste in my mouth. We saw so many people hurt and devastated by them. But I think it goes back to the leadership thing. We have been a part of some amazing churches where the pastor saw that the church belongs to God, not us. That it is a means for growing us into functional, strong, balanced people who know whom they serve. It's sort of like weekly bootcamp in preparation for the war out there.

I agree that the church we typically see is neither balanced, nor functional and that is the danger of focusing on the institution rather than the God. So I guess I said all that to say I sort of agree with you, but I don't think we should throw that definition over all church as a whole. Clear as mud?

By the way, I found your blog through a friend and I love your posts!