Tuesday, July 04, 2006

From Deep Waters



I was reading in 2 Samuel 22 this week (thanks to my pastor) and reflecting on the concept of God as 'my rock.' In my mind, I conjured up this image of a solid outcropping of rock just being pounded by waves. Actually, the image of that French lighthouse comes to mind...the one where the guy is standing there and the waves are crashing against the back of the rock and lighthouse and swirling on either side.

Anyway...I began to picture myself in the waters just around this solid rock. Whether I jumped in or slipped I don't know...but I'm in that deep water. Often the most dangerous place to be (in an ocean setting) is just a few feet away from a big rock or reef like that. Then the wind and waves pound you against the rock, doing quite a bit of damage. So I'm close enough to the rock to get dashed against it...but not close enough to benefit from it's support and shelter.

Then verse 17 of 2 Samuel 22 alters the image...

"He reached down from on high and took hold of me;

he drew me out of deep waters. He rescued me..."

then verse 47...

"The Lord lives! Praise be to my Rock!

Exalted be God, the Rock, my Savior!"

I'm still struggling for clarity...but it's good to have the Rock back under my feet.

No comments: