Sunday, July 23, 2006

To the Monastery

I've really been enjoying the articles from Out of Ur (by Leadership).

I was just reading the one published today, Spiritual Formation: we’ve already got a proven model, but do we want it?

Here's a great quote from the author who is being questioned about trends and models of spiritual formation...


“It’s a proven model,” I pointed out, “a model that includes everything we know
brings about transformation. What would happen to your life” (I was now turning
the question on them) “if you lived in close geographical community and
relationship with other people; if you lived in submission to authority; if you
practiced silence and simplicity and discipline; if you regularly read the Bible
and prayed and meditated on what you read; if you made study part of your life;
and if you worked hard in some daily occupation, seeing your labor as full of
dignity and offering it to God?”


That's where I'm headed...to the monastery! Actually, I still don't know what it will look like. A house church? A small group of people from a church? An extended family gathering and drawing friends and neighbors into the mix? I really don't know, but I know it's time to stop posting, dreaming, and analyzing and to actually engage in it.



No comments: