Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Community & Coffee Talk


Leaving a community and/or church is painful...even when the relationships are under-developed. I suppose I've been a little blindsided by the pain of this decision and transition to leave Dayton. After being in Columbus for about 8 years...it wasn't this painful to pack up and leave. But that's probably because we'd been through a steady two-year progression which led to our move last summer.

What I'm taking from this experience is that there exists within our relationships and community a sense of the not-yet, or the "what might have been." Perhaps the value of that concept has escaped me until now. Although we've been through a short ministry stay before (8 or 9 years ago), for some reason it didn't have near the impact of this one. We've really been amazed at the generosity and support we've received from these "infant" relationships.

Fortunately, I've been warmly received by the green siren and the familiar family of Starbucks partners. It's kind of disturbing how much I've missed pressing that first sample of a Black Apron Exclusive coffee. But it looks like I'll need to start leading an internal effort to get the corporate coffee master back on track with its commitment to the environment and sustainable agriculture. According to this article on the Organic Consumer Association's website, Starbucks is holding out by using hormone-tainted milk. Why is it that I would be less offended if you attack my faith than my java supplier?! I guess I DO need some professional help.

1 comment:

James said...

Wow that was quick. Did you already have your last Sunday?