Sunday, June 18, 2006

Stirring Conversations

I spent a few days this past week bumping into several friends. Some were old friends from college...some were acquaintances from a good many years in youth ministry. First of all, I must admit that I experienced a certain uneasiness every time a nominal friend in ministry would welcome me back to the fold...expressing their pleasure that I had found my way back to youth ministry.
From the other perspective, I was equally disturbed by the discussions I had with closer friends who expressed some confusion at my recent transition. That has caused me to engage in some very intentional reflection on my journey of recent months and years. In fact, it lead me back into the archives of this blog. From there I can see that my transition from Starbucks back into a traditional setting of youth ministry (in a megachurch no less) made very little sense.

Ouch! The realization of my own blindness and compromise has sent me reeling. Although, if I were to be quite honest...not a day has gone by over the past ten months that I didn't suspect a mistake and error in judgment. That brings me to a precarious spot. Suffice it to say...making the right decision is easier the first time. And clarity is a rarity!

No comments: