Monday, June 05, 2006

dysfunctional faith

Have you ever had the painful yet liberating experience of encountering your own dysfunctions? That's been happening for me in spiritual ways over the past few months. If I understand the dynamics of dysfuntion...it basically provides some definition for the destructive or unhealthy ways in which we may have been conditioned to live and relate to others.

Well, I'm finding that I learned some fairly unhealthy ways of relating to God. I don't think there was any intentional misguiding...just a lack of guidance. And that's not to say that I didn't have supportive, Christian parenting...because I did. And I was brought up in the church, circumcised on the eighth day (or even before), a Nazarene of Nazarenes! But therein lies one of my main issues. In the absence of a mentor or spiritual guide...the institution of the church became my mentor. Thus in a substantially unhealthy way, my growth as a Christian and in relationship with God became completely intertwined with my activity and participation in the church (local and beyond).

I have a feeling there are many who could claim this sort of "dysfunction" because it is probably the natural process to follow in the absence of intentional mentoring and discipleship. Now at this stage of my life and ministry...I am having to relearn some basic ways of relating to God. No longer can I skate by on the activities and duties of ministry and church life...hoping that the spiritual formation will happen as a natural by-product of preparing to share the gospel with others. The "being" MUST precede the "doing!" My contentment and satisfaction must be completely rolled up in the person of Christ and not attached to anything else.

No comments: