Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The Allusion of Authenticity

Just had another stirring conversation with a good friend in ministry which proved to be humbling and convicting. It's the second time in a week that ministry peers have accused me of being authentic. The painful reality is that over the past year...my authenticity quotient has dropped severely.

Now I don't mean that to be a completely negative reflection on my current church or ministry affiliation (although a bit of that would be unavoidable after the previous statement). What it actually reflects is my compromise in non-negotiables and core values in ministry. I've neglected to put the necessary boundaries in place to protect my family and my own spiritual and emotional health. Now I'm paying a severe price. And those around me will be hurt in various ways as a result of my conformity.

My extended family has been an amazing encouragement during this time! Kudos to the brothers Bean and my wonderful parents.

No comments: