Monday, December 08, 2008

My Great Emergence


Occasionally, it becomes necessary for us to spend some time trying to articulate and translate what seems to be happening within. This is just such a time. My hunch is that this will take several posts over the next few days and perhaps weeks. Instigating this attempt at sharing my story would most recently have to be my experience at The Great Emergence conference in Memphis this past weekend.
(click the image to the right to view a brief you tube video)

I traveled to the conference with a group of about ten friends from the Greater Cincinnati area along with a new friend from Louisville. We overnighted at the Gen X Inn just east of downtown Memphis. Although the name of the establishment was a bit peculiar, we found the accommodations more than adequate and I have no complaints except for the crunchy bananas (pictured behind my buddy, Aaron).

Enough about fruit texture...the conference was like a spiritual retreat for me. An emphasis on attending to "Divine Hours" created a spiritual rhythm to the schedule which provided, for me ,much needed interaction with God's Word, the Holy Spirit, and the shared experience of many Christians past and present. For those who aren't familiar with the concept, read this quick description. Along with the readings and prayers we shared some great times of corporate worship which stretched me in terms of style and liturgical approach.

Besides the spiritual refreshment which came my way over the weekend, a staggering amount of content, church history, and many other categories of information came flooding through the various presenters, conversations with peers, in addition to the main presentations from Phyllis. Perhaps the most cage-rattling component to this piece of the conference was the discussion of our basis for authority. During the time of the reformation in the early 16th century, the overriding sense of authority shifted from the papacy to the scriptures and the stage was set for sola scriptura. After about 500 years of viewing God, Christianity, and our world through this lens, it appears that the lens (or it least a filter) is changing.

I will hold off on discussing more of the actual content in future posts (such as the quadrant categories of Christianity, the Jerusalem-Antioch conversation, science-faith interplay, etc) and will shift now to some thoughts on personal application and "so what?" kinds of comments. These questions are the ones I most anticipate in the next few days and of course some of the most difficult statements to articulate. I want to discuss three points of application here and will begin with the most basic...personal impact...then to theological impact...and finally to ministerial or ecclesiastical impact.

Personal Impact: As I already mentioned, the personal impact of not just this conference, but the 3 to 4-year transition I've been experiencing in my spiritual life is quite a deep one. For several years now I have begun to discover and explore several problems in the ways in which I've been spiritually formed over the years and how I learned to relate to God. When you're raised in a conservative evangelical context (especially one which emphasizes behaviors and externals) I believe one of two things typically happens. As someone at the conference said, you either live in such a way as not to piss God off too much because of your humanity OR you perfect religious performance to a degree that certainly assures you of being one of God's favorites.

My guess is that I've erred on the side of being overly impressed with my own religious performance and building most of my relationship with God apart from being truly intimately connected with Him. In the past few years, I had to come to grips with the bankrupt nature of this kind of religion. As various struggles involving anger, depression, anxiety, addictions, etc have emerged, the necessary foundation of authentic trust and intimacy with God was not sufficiently in place.

[These statements should not lead anyone to believe that I am ungrateful for my spiritual/Christian heritage or for the positive influence of the Nazarene tradition. We are all shaped by various stories which are all, in and of themselves, insufficient compared to the grandest Story we hope to live, love, and journey towards.]

Another piece of the personal impact has to do with being okay in my own skin. As I shared from a panel of participants in front of the 300 or so conference attendees…the last three attempts of being on staff in ministry has felt like a continuous effort to pound a round peg into a square hole. And I continually wonder if God has a plan (or allowance) for me to engage in a form of ministry which perfectly matches an authentic expression of my passions and myself.

Theological Impact: This discussion is going to take some more time to sort out. For now I think it will suffice to say that if Phyllis is correct about the dismantling of sola scripture over that past 150 years…it fits with my own sense of where God is moving (an emphasis on Christ, i.e. solus Christus). Many will misinterpret my voice, as well as the voice of countless others within this “emergent” movement, but for too long the Scriptures have been used as a weapon or as some sort of divine trump card to manipulate, control, or otherwise abuse all the people God is so desperately trying to love back to himself.

Ecclesiastical Impact: So here’s the one I really have to be careful with since I find myself employed by the church. Although I don’t have a clear ‘next step’ in this area just yet, my heightened sense of disdain for the institutional church will ultimately lead me to a precipice of choice. When I reach this ledge of loyalty to my tribe or to the church as a local system of religious experience, I will indeed have to make a choice in terms of what shape life and ministry will take for my family and myself over the next few decades (God willing) of my life. When I reach a decision in these regards…I’ll let you know. ;-)

To wrap up this post for the time being, I better just make it clear for any who find themselves reading this for the wrong reasons. I am purposefully identifying and aligning myself with a vast group of other “emerging” Christians because I wholeheartedly believe that Christianity is certainly changing. The thought scares me that someone branded me as a “young Luther” while I was in Memphis. For starters, I have no visions of that kind of grandeur. I also don’t care for the Lutheresque implications of being hunted down for inquisition by religious leaders of the day. But I also don’t want to miss what God is doing because I’m too damn proud of the religious reputation I’ve built for myself over the past thirty years.

7 comments:

Aaron said...

Love you, man. I'm glad to be sharing the journey with you (even if you post less than flattering pictures of me drinking coffee too early in the morning).

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I got to thinking, IF it is to be Sola Christ for a while then, Sola Holy Spirit, and finally the last 100 years if Trinity, lets just skip to Trinity. I'd be fine with that
heh heh

Well, all I can say is that I love ya man, and excited about living my life right along side with ya!

Unknown said...

excellent post chris - excellent!!! i wonder if we are still missing something in the area of "authority" - it seems like many who profess to be followers of jesus are still wanting to have some way of powering-over others - at one time that might have been primarily via "clergy" - and then "doctrine" - maybe it is time we let go of thinking that god is interested in such an approach to "authority" - maybe it is time for an authentic christian anarchy to emerge. :)

lillylewin said...

hey there! glad you had fun in memphis and sorry i couldn't join in this time around.
your post describes the last ten years of my life (and the journey that rob-my husband and i have been on)
we both have left paid church staff yet still feel called to ministry just in very different ways.
so if you need more folks to process with... and those a little bit further down the pike..
we'd love to get together!
and if you ever have a sunday night free you can join us for thinplace.. or for the artwalk we do at the cincy. art museum 2xs a month...lectio and journaling at both gatherings.
have a great week!and know God has great stuff up his big sleeves!

Chris said...

Aaron...my apologies for the unfair likeness of you, but the bananas in the background were perfect...along with the hyper-coral wall color.

D.G...thanks!

Rob H...we have similar passions.

Lilly...can't wait for a sit-down or art walk with you and Rob

Kimberly said...

For the record, some people prefer their bananas on the crunchy (rather than mushy) side. I'm just saying...

It was an honor to share the experience of sharing our experiences with 300 strangers!

Just remember, be patient and seek the Lord. You don't have to have your path figured out today, you just have to be willing to follow and trust. Sometimes the Lord uproots people unexpectedly, and sometimes He asks them to stay when they're ready to flee. I look forward to following your journey and will keep you in my prayers.
~ Kimberly

Grace said...

Chris,
I am very interested in understanding this entire "emergent" experience/movement/thing. I agree with what you've said and look forward to reading more posts. However, where does holiness fit into this? I'm not talking rules, but rather the transforming work of the Holy Spirit in ones life. I've been in the pit once and would rather not go back.

What I want is a relationship with God like Daniel had. He determined that he was not going to defile himself for any person or purpose. He was in the world but not of the world, so to speak. And, he had incredible influence on those around him.

Kimberly