Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Books 17 & 18

While my digestive system is recovering from some kind of 48-hour bug, I was able to extract some great solubles and migrating fines from these to books about coffee.

The "God in a Cup" title was a fascinating glimpse into the world of specialty coffee as the likes of Peter Giuliano (Counter Culture Coffee), Geoff Watts (Intelligentsia), and Duane Sorenson (Stumptown) all search & compete for the highest quality coffee imaginable. This book made me want to buy some coffee from Panama immediately! And go work on my latte art as well.

The second title is a more technical handbook of sorts for the espresso enthusiast. I learned a few good things about "stretching" milk, the science of extraction, and the chemistry of H2O. Speaking of H2O, another way to describe the process of preinfusion in an espresso machine would be "wetting your bed." That takes me back a few years!

No comments: