Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Emergent Christianity and Holiness

I want to launch off a comment from my good friend Kimberly on that last post since it's a question I would expect from many in my tribe (the Church of the Nazarene). And since my parents, grandparents, and great grandparents would/did all call themselves Nazarenes...it causes me to approach this question respectfully and thoughtfully.

For those who may be joining this conversation from other traditions and streams of Christianity, I welcome your insights on holiness and hope for some great comments from you regarding the way in which sanctification is discussed in your traditions.

As most Nazarenes would understand and describe holiness...sanctification is a second experience of grace, following salvation (initial sanctification) at which point a person usually becomes aware of a continued tendency towards sin. Sanctification is often taught and preached as a point of full surrender in one's relationship with God. My assumption then, is that when Nazarenes look for the "holiness" component within emergent Christianity or some other tradition or Christian experience, they are looking for the urge towards a holy life as opposed to an approach that seems to tolerate certain kinds or amounts of sin. (Any Nazarenes feel free to add to or correction my perceptions here)

Here's a look at the article of faith which describes this experience from the Nazarene manual:

13. We believe that entire sanctification is that act of God, subsequent to regeneration, by which believers are made free from original sin, or depravity, and brought into a state of entire devotement to God, and the holy obedience of love made perfect.

It is wrought by the baptism with the Holy Spirit, and comprehends in one experience the cleansing of the heart from sin and the abiding, indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit, empowering the believer for life and service.

Entire sanctification is provided by the blood of Jesus, is wrought instantaneously by faith, preceded by entire consecration; and to this work and state of grace the Holy Spirit bears witness.

This experience is also known by various terms representing its different phases, such as "Christian perfection," "perfect love," "heart purity," "the baptism with the Holy Spirit," "the fullness of the blessing," and "Christian holiness."

14. We believe that there is a marked distinction between a pure heart and a mature character. The former is obtained in an instant, the result of entire sanctification; the latter is the result of growth in grace.

We believe that the grace of entire sanctification includes the impulse to grow in grace. However, this impulse must be consciously nurtured, and careful attention given to the requisites and processes of spiritual development and improvement in Christlikeness of character and personality. Without such purposeful endeavor one’s witness may be impaired and the grace itself frustrated and ultimately lost.


Scriptural support for this doctrine of sanctification usually come out of Acts 2:1-4; Romans 12:1-2; Colossians 3:1-17; 1 Thess 4:7-8 along with many others...especially anything like "be holy" or "be sanctified"

Now this is not to be confused with being sancti-FRIED...as in love, peace, and chicken grease. That's totally different!

Sorry for the brief moment of linguistic levity. Back to our discussion of holiness and emerging Christianity...where is it? Does holy living and the doctrine of sanctification find amicable space within this movement?

My initial reaction to this question is that you will find holiness to the extent that you find Christ in emergent Christianity. And for those not tapped in to the voices and conversations of emerging Christians should be aware that the trajectory is indeed towards Christ. And to be honest, I see a greater emphasis on Christ within Emerging Christianity than I've seen in thirty years of Nazarene camps, bible quizzing, NYC's, and Nazarene colleges. That's not meant so much as an insult to my tradition as it is an affirmation of the grace I see at work within Emergent expressions. To be fair, Nazarene campuses are probably where I see a good bit of hope within our denomination because that is where ideas are most abundant in our denomination along with the places where those engaged in ministry to students are present.

The great struggle for Nazarenes as they encounter emergent Christianity in its various forms is going to center around external factors, questionable behaviors, legalistic perspectives, and a basic absence of "holiness." One of the healthy things I observed among emergents while in Memphis was an unencumbered sense of authenticity. When people who are passionately in love with God are also passionately honest...creative...real...and humble...the Gospel is incarnated in a potent way.

I respect the tradition of holiness from which I have emerged.

And I admire anyone who pursues holiness of heart and life while being vulnerably genuine in the process. I believe that God does call us to live holy lives...set apart and empowered by the Holy Spirit. I also happen to believe that someone caught up in a lifestyle of consumerism grieves the heart of God as much as someone in a homosexual relationship. The Christian who wields their tongue like a dagger against others is in much more spiritual jeopardy than someone who wets it with Warsteiner. And the fact that we even try to measure sin and behaviors like this reveals our inadequacy to even speak about holiness in terms of anything other than what God does and who God is.

This is an important conversation for sure...and would welcome anymore "Naz-mergents" out there to wade into the frigid waters.

11 comments:

James Diggs said...

Good thoughts Chris. I don't have time for a lengthy comment, but I will say that I think the emergent conversation helps us move away from understanding holiness in primarily terms of personal piety. holiness has a communal factor that many modern Nazarenes have lost touch of. Ironically, the COTN did have a more social emphasis and focus on the poor and marginalized in the beginning that put its emphasis of "holiness" in a much better context.

I also think that the those that lean into Wesleyan holiness in our tradition more so than American holiness perspective have an easier time taking part in the emergent conversation.

Peace,

James

Chris said...

Thanks for adding your thoughts here James. Yes...I believe the emphases in the early days for the COTN are things we need to reclaim. Also, I was able to converse with some Methodist friends about the impact and legacy of Wesley which has surprising relevance within the context of this changing landscape of Christendom.

billbean said...

There have always been different takes on holiness. I learned long ago that there were some Calvinists out there who were more sanctified than holiness types I knew, and Catholics who loves Jesus more thank folks in my church.

Was the Nazarene church born out of doctrinal concerns or mission? I would suggest that latter. (i.e. Phineas) To borrow an old cliche, "Let's keep the main thing the main thing."

Here's a question for you, what about worldliness? Given the traditional understanding of the battle context, the world, the flesh, and the devil, what challenge do emerging (for lack of a better term)Christians face with regards to worldliness?

Unknown said...

I see emergent Christianity as an affirmation and a broader sense of holiness as a Nazarene. I see in emergent Christianity a restoration of the Imago Dei on a societal level along with the personal. It goes beyond domesticating Jesus to a narrow set of moral standards to an honesty that continues to struggle with the message of Jesus to a whole range of issues. It is sanctification in a broader sense.

Unknown said...

i will just kick this in - in my reading of wesley's "plain account of christian perfection" - what stands out for me is this: LOVE. if we are seeing more and more jesus-followers walking in love - now that is something AWEsome!

i wonder if "emergent christianity" is a misnomer? i imagine that we will continue to have a plethora of expressions of jesus-following-faith on into the future. many flavors have emerged and will continue to emerge. just thinking out loud.

grace and peace.

Unknown said...

"As most Nazarenes would understand and describe holiness...sanctification is a second experience of grace, following salvation (initial sanctification) at which point a person usually becomes aware of a continued tendency towards sin. Sanctification is often taught and preached as a point of full surrender in one's relationship with God."

I think you have hit on part of the problem that exists within the Nazarene church. Sanctification is incorrectly taught and understood. Your above description differs from that found in the manual. The manual correctly states, that act of God. That which God does in us. This is preceded by entire consecration, which is where I believe most Nazarenes stop and what your description eludes to. That moment when we realize we need God 100% and attempt to turn our lives completely over to Him. But that does not mean that in that moment God must or does provide the work of sanctification.

As a result, I believe we lose much of the authenticity that you refer to because individuals believe they have attained a level of spiritually which they, on their own never can, that level of holiness which only comes one way, as a gift, imparted and imputed, but both sharing the same source, GOD.

Unknown said...

Chris, these past 2 blog entries have been enjoying to read.. I'm glad you linked them to facebook where my pre-employment free time musings brought me here! I must say, having just graduated from College and moved away, I miss stimulating conversations such as are happening on your blog.



So, I am much less educated than most people that have posted, but I've been hearing about the emergent church, and watched some interviews with Tickle that you linked. And it lead me to think about an article I recently read about someone who did an informal study of evangelical churches in some city in texas and it found staggering responses that somewhere close to 50% of committed believers in Christ thought that anyone could believe what they wanted and be the same and 'get to heaven'. and while being involved on OSU's campus I interacted with SO many christians who believed the same thing. "to each his own, this is just my thing" sometimes even denying the authority and power of scripture that these Truths are only truth for their own lives - and i don't mean just the 'getting to heaven' part like in the article. I see this huge movement of individualism in this.

Does this play a part of the emerging church or is this a completely different phenomenon? if it is separate, I wonder how they are being affected by each other.

I'm not sure if that makes sense, or is just clear in my head.. but I've been wrestling with this idea of individualism in our faith for a few years, trying to figure out if I believe what I believe... and if I don't believe God's power and love is good enough for someone else, why is it good enough for me? How does a unitarian idea even work? it's really REALLY prominent at Ohio State, but it's seems so contradictory...

you are a very good writer, and I shall keep reading to hear how you are processing the conference.

-Emily (Beck)

Chris said...

I had hoped to put some thoughts together here before 11:30 PM Ha, ha...and oh well.

Again, thanks for all the good comments.

Bill: I need to think more about your question of worldliness and the battle genre.

Emily: perhaps something that applies to Bill's comment and yours is that there is great danger of syncretism and of Christians just morphing into a pluralistic expression of whatever the culture seems to want. My take on Unitarianism is much like my take on late-night paid advertisements. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Mike: There's something about your response that is so Nazarene and seemingly a regurgitation of theology class that it's hard to form a response without getting sucked into a black hole of word games. I just don't believe it's going to make sense to anyone we're trying to reach if we speak about or even just base our words on something like our manual. Doesn't Jesus address issues of full surrender in his ultimatum to the rich young ruler? or his call to hate father and mother? etc? That came across as critical to your response...but I trust you're heart's in the right place!

Rob: I agree...an emphasis on love and grace is in order. Not that it's all about the warm fuzzies. But if we're going to err in either direction, let's take a break from legalism and condemnation.
I have a feeling you're right about the terminology. History may find a more apt description after another 50 to 100 years. There's really nothing new about emergent Christianity except in the sense of getting a "new" used car. It's new to whoever buys it.

Grace said...

Chris,
In speaking on holiness, I am not talking about or asking for what the church of the Nazarene thinks. I'm talking about a life consecrated to God as is evidenced in the life of Daniel and as current as Mother Teresa.

Unknown said...

Chris,
Ah the wonders of the written word, void of inflection and tone and therefore confusing to interpret. My response was an attempt to expound on an accurate statement that you made. In no way was I disagreeing with the mandate for full surrender. It is absolutely crucial. And if I sound slightly regurgitorial, I am Nazarene after all. But, I hope to be a thinker as well, first based upon scripture before just accepting anyones theology.

As far as the emergent movement goes, I'm quite comfortable with the words we find in Acts. If this movement is of God, then anyone who opposes it won't have much luck. So I'm excited to see how the emergent movement continues to positively impact Christianity as God directs.

Chris said...

ha, ha Mike...you're right. It is a flawed form of communication. Thanks for chiming back in!! I look forward to a nice relaxed face-to-face with you sometime in addition to our online banter.
Blessings,