Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The 9 of Spades

So here it is...July 29th...and I've read 9 books. This is the end of the 30th week of 2008 which means only 22 weeks to go. If I want to reach my goal of 52 books this year...I'll need to read about 2 books per week from here on out. That is obviously NOT going to happen.

I like to pace myself when it comes to reaching lofty goals. Who wants to be an over achiever, right (besides my good friend Rob Horton. The poor guy had to buy a whole new deck of cards to keep up with his reading list! :-)

Just a few comments on my most recent read though, Organic Discipleship. It's written by a father-daughter team at Xenos Christian Fellowship in Columbus, OH very near where Debbie and I spent about 8 years pastoring students. Getting a little more insight into their history, ministry development, and passions was very interesting considering the superficial knowledge we had from ministering nearby.

What I liked most about the book was the emphasis on intentional discipling relationships and the need to support that process with a great deal of prayer. Here at Lifespring, our current context for life, ministry, and family...we are convinced that it is going to take a very intentional process of modeling discipleship and inviting people to follow our example in order to really raise up a different kind of church, one that is more incarnation-relational-missional than attractional-program driven-doctrinal. We want to emphasize both belonging and believing...but we definitely agree with those who think that providing someone with a relationship in which to belong is more important and urgent than demanding the right beliefs.

Back to the book though...what I didn't like about the book was a sort of textbook approach towards the middle of the book. There was just a little too much "First you need to do this, this, and this...next you have to do this...etc" Now, I am becoming more and more aware that many people want and need this kind of detail and instruction. I just tend to enjoy the big picture more...the vision...the dream. Let's work out some details and execute the strategy...but there might be several approaches to that stage.

Overall, I think it was a helpful book for me and anyone else who is trying to be more intentional about discipling and coaching others to disciple.


As my Lifegroup discovered this past week in our discussion of John 15, to remain in Christ and bear fruit means that we will lay down our lives for others. For most of us, that will not mean physical death, it will more than likely mean...laying down our selfish plans for the evening and/or weekend and spending some intentional time discipling a friend, neighbor, family member, or whoever God sends across the street for conversation.

So look around...and see who's headed your way.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

just enjoy the journey bro - no pressure.

peace,
rob