Thursday, July 10, 2008

Barnabas & Timothy

Good conversation is a gift.

As I sat down with a friend yesterday and discussed various things about discipleship, he reminded me of a model we have in the Apostle Paul. You could argue (quite easily I think) that Paul was spiritually mentored by Barnabas. And later in Paul's ministry, Timothy becomes one of Paul's main mentees as he invests himself in the spiritual development of another pastor-leader-planter.

Naming the "Timothy's" in my life has always been a simple recognition of various students, neighbors, co-workers, family members, and even peers into whom I have poured energy, time, conversation, and shared life (though not nearly enough prayer). Looking back on all those relationship however, I realize that the process was not nearly intentional enough.

The "Barnabas" factor has been much more elusive for me. Although I can point to many people along the way who have influenced, guided, and mentored me...I find that those relationships have been far to seasonal and sporadic. I have often prayed for someone like a spiritual guide or mentor and find myself currently without such a person.

As a certified personal trainer, there's no way I would expect (on average) someone to achieve the same fitness results and goals on their own as they would with some consistent and intense coaching in the gym. Why do we think spiritual fitness would be terribly different from that? So like the occasional exerciser who works out a few times a week but changes nothing else about their lifestlye or diet...we continue for years in the same pattern of activity with very little transformation or growth. And most Christians are satisfied with this approach.

1 comment:

=)Bnpositive said...

Sometimes I've actively wished for a tapeworm. Seems like a pretty easy solution. What's a little flatworm between friends?