Thursday, December 06, 2007

Religious Polarization




I feel like I am becoming a bit of a sounding board for several folks when it comes to things emergent and postmodern. Obviously, the only thing that qualifies me (or anyone for that matter) to carry on a conversation about such things is the fact that I'm breathing and living in the 21st century. Perhaps because I've read enough recent books to at least articulate a few thoughts and perspectives on spiritual and religious topics I have set myself up as one of many "re-thinkers."

A good friend this week passed on an article from crosswalk.com which pretty much blasted emergent thinkers as well as all the Willow-style seeker sensitive types. You can find these articles (though I hesitate to even encourage any more viewership) here here and here.

Coincidentally, I found the recent Emergent podcast was a conversation between Tony Jones and Brian McLaren (two major voices from the 'emergent' conversation) which was very encouraging. I say that because there is just such religious polarization right now with the conservative evangelicals lashing out and calling people heretics and warning of theological heresy, universalism, and other spiritual treachery. I think Tony refers to it as 'binary' language in the podcast...very similar to the political polarization we experience in our country.

Everyone gets lumped into one of two predominant categories...conservative and liberal (which is why I hate that profile category on Facebook too) and once you're dumped into one of those bins...good luck trying to have a healthy conversation with someone in the other bin...unless they're dangling over the side of it.

If statistics are accurate (even remotely) then the decline of the church and Christianity in our culture and country demands that we re-think some things. Once we elect a new president, it would be ridiculous to blame the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq on his or her leadership. Similarly, one must at least postulate that the current situation of the church and Christianity is not to be blamed (beyond a very small percentage perhaps) on any leadership or church movements from the past few years.

And I find it highly suspect right now for any Christian leader to value systematic theology over practical theology...or a well-defined theory of atonement over a theory for feeding those who are hungry...or a strict adherance to religious polity over a deep conviction about materialism and greed.

I consider Bradd Pitt and Angelina Jolie, with the efforts they're making in New Orleans and around the globe, to be more worthy of our attention than some staunch pulpit monger who cares more about his book sales and radio reputation than the real Kingdom of God.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

solid bro!

Unknown said...

Chris,
I identify with some things you are saying. It sure is easy to throw around the word heretic when something isn't the way you understand it to be. But perhaps our academics are what seperate us from those we should be ministering to. I'm think I'll be tackling an interesting topic in an upcoming sermon (not sure of the date) on things Christian do that makes people dislike/hate them. The numbers are highly against the church, and part of it is us.