Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Politics and Nationalism






The next book I want to dig into is "Myth of a Christian Nation" by Greg Boyd.
Then I'll finally get to Wallis' book and maybe Balmer's "lament."

It seems as though our nationalism and our political ideologies often trump our citizenship in the Kingdom of God.

I voted for George Bush (current) but feel like it's been one of the worst 8-year stretches of decline I've witnessed in my lifetime. Of course, I didn't pay attention to politics for the first 20 years...so that's not saying much.

But for this coming election, it makes we want to ignore the faith claims of all the candidates. Do we think that a president declaring his or her faith and then receiving the endorsement of our favorite Christian radio personalities equals God's person for the job?

For me, the war and economics have been the critical issues. I believe we need to figure out better ways to promote peace and economic justice. Most of all, I think we need to quit pretending that God is a conservative Republican! We are made in the image of God...not vice-versa!

No comments: