Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Focused on the Courts



Obviously, I'm not talking about a political preoccupation here. I'm enmeshed in the daily drama at Wimbledon. I didn't even grow up with an interest in tennis (nearly at all) but now it's one of the few sporting events I really get wrapped up in.

I enjoy watching some of the tennis majors, the golf majors (if Phil or Tiger are involved), and then Cycling (it's Tour de France season again!)

Fortunately, with DVR, I can watch these things efficiently and only commit about 25-50% of the time it typically takes to watch events like these.

But it's still quite an investment of time so I'm trying to multitask as I watch Mauresmo and Vaidisova battle it out between rain delays.

On my mind today regarding ministry and life though is the tendancy for people to depend on the church too much. Specifically, I'm reflecting on some comments made by individuals who think our church ought to be DOING more, or have more on the calendar.

Below the surface of such comments and critiques is an unhealthy dependance on the church to be responsible for what followers of Christ should be doing with their time naturally. For instance, if someone thinks that we should have a ministry to the "needy" in our community...why wouldn't they just find out what's already being done in the community and just join forces? Or personally find a family in their neighborhood which is facing some kind of crisis or need. Look around and see who's not getting their yardwork done because of aging, health, caring for a sick relative, etc.

Why must the church (as institution) be the clearinghouse for all of our activity? Hypothetical question of course...it shouldn't!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

In Acts 2:42-47 there's a pretty distinct picture of a church that met together every day (talk about a full calendar) and ate together, sold their possessions and shared, gave and met each others needs - sounds pretty much like their lives revolved around each other.

Now, if what you're arguing against is having an organized "program" to do all of these things - than I agree wholeheartedly. The church if full of programs that don't really do anything. However, I firmly believe that the church ought to spend a good deal of their time together meeting each others needs and "adding to their numbers daily" - just in a more organic, natural way.

I hope that made some sense. God bless!

Chad Oneil Myers said...

Found your blog by searching for "Dewitt Jones". Enjoyed your June 14th post.