Thursday, August 14, 2008

Vacationing Well


This is one of those vacations that may actually result in the desired amount of rest and relaxation. Personally, I've found that most vacations can be exhausting because there's this compulsion to pack so much into the experience. That is yet another indication that our consumeristic lifestyles are so ingrained that we fail to even grasp the concepts of simplicity and rest.

Last night I was fishing off of this little point (where Jessica is journaling) as darkness settled over the lake. Then the clouds parted and the moon began to beam from my left. Since I wasn't catching ANY fish, I just laid back on the grass and stared up at the stars. It was one of those moments where you feel like you have God's attention and He might just say something out loud. Then I remembered something I heard Erwin McManus say recently in a podcast...something to this effect... "Asking God for a sign is a sign of spiritual immaturity."

Don't you love it when people, without any hesitation, step directly on your spiritual toes?! Yeah...Gideon was certainly showing spiritual immaturity when he kept throwing down the fleece trick. Erwin's point was that God wants to develop us into the kind of people He can trust to make the right decisions. He's not interested in just blurting out directions every time we approach some sort of crossroads in life. Obviously, that would be easier in the moment but when will I learn that God is more interested in my character than my contentment or comfort!

No comments: