Thursday, August 28, 2008

Book 11: Jack of Spades

Talk about a quick and engaging little book! I recently became aware of Francis Chan's ministry, writing, and online presence. I remember someone telling me about his Just Stop and Think video (which you can view here). At the time, I failed to track it down online or follow up on the recommendation at all. Then as I was reading this title yesterday, Chan encourages you early in the book to go to the website and view a few different things.

I thought it was really a great reading experience with the combined media resources online.

As he sums up the book, it's a call to a high view of God which results in a high-octane response to God...a Crazy Love. Any response less than that might be something we should classify as sub-Christian instead of settling for some anemic form of just-get-by Christianity.

His discussion of "Lukewarm Christians" (which he determines is oxymoronic) is especially challenging but necessary.

I read the book quite easily yesterday so it's not a difficult or long reading commitment. But it will certainly challenge you to evaluate your level of spiritual commitment. If you have the option, I would encourage you to use the online chapter introductions and other media resources along the way...quite excellent.

No comments: