Wednesday, September 19, 2007

My Friend, the Pastor


Life (and the One who designed it) has an interesting way of bringing people in and out of play. One of the great blessings I have right now is a new friendship with our lead pastor, Kevin. Having served in several different churches with many different co-pastors, staff, and "bosses"...I have come to realize that being in ministry alongside of someone you actually consider a great friend is not something to take for granted.

This guy was right there beside me during one of the most technologically life-altering days of my life...the day I switched from PC to Mac! In fact, this picture was the first one ever taken with my macbook pro...it was quite a bonding moment.

Seriously though, I am blessed to be hanging out with this guy and also blessed to hear God speak to our community through him.

This past Sunday at our gathering, Kevin layed it on thick...in a good way. He was talking about Community and the foundation of it in the early church (Acts 2). Some powerful statements which stood out to me were:

Community was formed around the Gospel (transformation in Christ).

Keeping Christ at the center enables a community to love intensely.

Community is not about meeting "my" needs.


It was a great reminder of how transformative and formative the good news of Jesus really is. Although it's painful to get slapped in the spiritual face, it's good to keep the focus on Christ and the Kingdom...not on ourselves.

No comments: