Thursday, September 27, 2007

From Rant to Recant


My last post on here came across a little harsh...especially as I reread a snippet of it on my brother's blog

I'm not recanting my statement or concept...just my attitude!

As I pick up reading a daily Proverb again, I'm reminded of how much wisdom is in God's Word. 27:12 says,

"The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it."

I guess calling someone "simple" in Solomon's day was the politically correct version of "fool?" But that proverb applies in a way to my subject line. Interesting, in fact, that a similar root word is used here as was used by myself in a derogatory manner previously. Prudent...marked by wisdom or judiciousness (merriam-webster.com).
Prude...a person who is excessively or priggishly attentive to propriety or decorum(also www.merriam-webster.com)

Actually, prude comes from an old French term and prudent is from a Latin word...so thankfully they have very different etymologies.

Anyway, I think the Proverbs have much to say to us. For sometimes we see the danger (whether physical, financial, marital, verbal, etc) but we keep going and suffer for it.

I love v. 17 (same chapter)... "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." We are meant to connect closely in relationships with those around us. Accountability, encouragement, counsel, and support are just some of the benefits of being close enough to sharpen and be sharpened by a friend.

And we could all stand to be reminded of v.14 "If a man loudly blesses his neighbor early in the morning, it will be taken as a curse!"

No comments: