Thursday, September 06, 2007

Faces From the Past


(Pretend you're Leonardo DaVinci to read the mug shot)

I recently visited my myspace.com page for the first time in about 3 years. I think it was the first online blog-type client that I used. But because of all the junk you encounter there...w/ spamming and inappropriate content and "friend-vitations" I decided to steer clear of it. Well, as I checked back in on it, I found that some old high school classmates had left a message or two for me over a year ago.

In reconnecting with some of those high school friends, it has reminded me of the significance of relationships. I often look back on my high school years as just a period of time I tolerated. I really didn't develop many serious friendships in the process of those 5+ years (it didn't take me that long to get through high school...our 8th grade class got moved to the high school). As I reflect, it occurs to me that I didn't make the best use of all that time with people. I often used the church or my miserable attempt at Christ-following as an excuse to guard against many close relational encounters.

Part of it was being a bit of an "outsider" in the community as well. WE moved to this little town in Butler County Kentucky two months into my 7th grade year, which was a terrible time to be transplanted. But even when I graduated from the high school 5 years later, I lacked any close friendships which would be sustained over the years.

I suppose instead of brewing over some of those regrets and missed opportunities, I'll just celebrate the notion that I may have the next 50 years to do a little better and treat people as more important than my own personal agenda of events, accomplishments, and advancement.

No comments: