Monday, May 28, 2007

TENNIS TALK


For some reason, I really get into the Tennis majors...especially the French Open, US Open, and Wimbledon. And it's just been the last couple of years that my interest has grown to this level. I'm setting the DVR and will end up scanning thru 2-3 hrs of tennis a day between now and June 10th when the final match is played between Federer and Nadal (hopefully). I know...it's really too much time to invest into something so personally meaningless. There's absolutely no bearing on my life or my sphere of relationships and community. But it's just so fun to watch and flinch and tense up as my favorite players choke!

Well, on a more serious note...or just a more relevant note, my time back at Starbucks is going well. But I'm struggling with a lack of patience with people. Co-workers and customers alike. I worked with a couple of baristas today whose lack of personality and charm sucked the life right out of the cafe! I really don't know how people like that ever get hired at Starbucks. But instead of coaching their behavior positively and sensetively, I'd just like to say, "Wow, does that scowl just come naturally? How about if you either learn to smile or clock out."

Yeah...there's something up with my current inability to take people's feelings into account. Even in the church setting as I was trying to direct the worship team through some technical ambiguity this weekend...I slipped into sharp/direct mode and hurt someone's feelings. It created a very tense atmosphere and just felt like an absolute ass (in the biblical sense) the entire day. Perhaps my zeal for the task or project (perfectionism) gets in the way of my ability to value people and relationships foremost.

I need some character transformation asap!

There were some other things I planned to blog about...but I'm turning into quite the geriatric case. It's barely past 10pm and my eyes are fighting the urge to close. Dealing with the brooding baristas took it out of me! :)

No comments: