Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Things were bleak until...

I heard an add for GoBible!





Now I realize that I can stay plugged into God without unplugging from life! I can immerse myself in God's word when it's convenient for me. If I had only realized that the key to my spiritual success was at my fingertips all the time. "The GoBible™ makes God’s Word ACCESSIBLE to everyone..."


Actually, I shouldn't be so viciously sarcastic since I had downloaded the Scriptures to my PDA and recorded my Bible on CD to my ipod for awhile. Obviously, immersing oneself in God's Word is a good thing...but I think it was the advertising and marketing that was so repulsive when I heard it today on our local Christian radio station. And the tag line of "plug into God without unplugging from life" is just especially disturbing.

Anyway, we continue to struggle through a very difficult week personally. From the gremlins in my radiator and coolant system to the old demon of debt which has its talons deep in our backs...much of what some refer to as "life" is not going well. But I know that things could certainly be worse...and there are glimmers of light and hope around some of the dark edges each day...so be thankful for that, Chris!

I went on a little rabbit trail today digging up things about being "missional" and what that looks like. As we contemplate plugging back into a congregational expression of church here in the area...I try to fast-forward in my mind and decide what it will look like in about six months. Is it a place where process will be valued over programs? What about emphasizing disciples over decisions? Does the leadership see the number of people the church serves as more important than the number who attend church services? Can we live in and live out the Story of God rather than just discussing the Text? Will we raise up a passion within people to BE the church rather than just keep hiring professionals to DO church?

Along the lines of Rob's post on releasing the role of "convincer" and allowing God to manage our reputations... can we help focus a congregation on participating in the mission of God and allow Him to manage the results? I'm not ready to walk away from the denominational system I've been a part of for so long...but it is definitely a system. And the system's approach to rewarding certain behaviors and achievements can actually be a deterent to true Kingdom values.

I suppose we'll just have to TRUST God to make the path clear.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Chris,

Thanks for the link. I continue to enjoy the following of your journey. God's grace regarding your endeavor to plug back into a congregational expression of church. I am still riding a major buzz from our weekend with Wayne - the thought of doing the congregation thing is furthest from the kingdom life I am envisioning - but I continue to be open to going and doing all the God leads. I can not safely say "never".

Thanks again.

Later,
Rob