Saturday, November 05, 2005

Urgent Care, BP, and Parenting

I have often been accused of being one of those guys who shrugs a shoulder of apathy towards physical pain, sickness, and general issues of health. So after 3 separate injuries to my right foot over a span of about 2 months, I finally decided to visit Urgent Care this past week (since we don't have a family physician in Dayton yet). Although I have often been frustrated by the cycle of...Visit doctor--pay too much--doctor can't help...scenario, I yielded to what seemed like common sense and spent two hours and who knows how much money this past Tuesday evening getting some x-rays and mediocre medical care. The funny thing is, something turned up on the x-ray which the doctor was concerned about and it was nowhere near the area where my pain was. Fortunately, I did get to spend some time with Don Miller soaking in some more of his christian spirituality anectdotes. The other big surprise that evening was my BP (blood pressure of course). The numbers were quite a ways above any I've generated in the past. Which leads me to the last titular issue.

Parenting! Until about 2 months ago...I felt like a pretty good dad. I mean, sure, there's always room for improvement, but overall, no major dysfunction. However, after the last few weeks, I wouldn't be surprised to catch my girls blogging behind my back on mydadsucks.com We are in a down-right grueling phase or something. Fortunately, I suppose, it's not just me. Deb is experiencing the same kind of stuff. Obviuosly, the trauma of our recent relocation has taken a toll...but good grief! I know of plenty of other families who have bounced around with ministry, military, or whatever...and even they're a bit surprised at some of the things we're going through. So combining those issues with the demands of full-time youth ministry at a level I've never experienced before...and bingo...viola...high blood pressure?? I guess I'm getting to the age where you have to start thinking seriously about your health. What a bummer.

2 comments:

BT said...

Chris--

Not to poke fun at your dilemma (I'm having my own struggles as a dad right now), but I couldn't help but laugh at what I perceived as a Freudian slip in your post:

"Obviuosly, the trauma of our recent relocation has taken a tool..."

Our prayers are with you.

:)

BT

Miss Kerri said...

Hey, Chris! I hate getting older.

When I was like 29 or 30, I went to the dr. for a physical, and I got blood test results in the mail the next week saying I had HIGH CHOLESTEROL! WELL! I thought, yeah, right--I'm not in my 60's! So I threw the results away.

The next year, I went back for my physical--guess what. High cholesterol. This time I figured I should listen. Not that I've done much about it, but I've started exercising and not eating things with trans fats or whatever.

Doesn't this suck? I used to go to the dr. for a sore throat or something! The dr. was for sicknesses, not maintaining wellness! But it's all changed now. :-(

AND....every time I go, I have high BP. The dr. says I have "white coat syndrome," which is true, because when I take my BP at Walmart or something, it's totally fine. I'm just nervous at the dr's office or something. High-strung, you know. So what's going on with you at the time can truly affect your BP. When my dad had heart surgery in 2002, we had to take his BP several times a day. Well, of course, Mom thought we ALL should take our BP with their cool little machine. Mine was like 160/108 or something outrageous! Of course, it was due to Dad's circumstances, but I thought Mom was going to flip her lid!!!!

Good luck with the kids. I know how hard it is just for Brian and I to relocate (we've done it 3 times in 5 yrs. of marriage!) I know it must be tough on the kiddos. We're praying with you.

Is that a long enough comment??!! Some things never change....