Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Cycling Saga

Odds are good that I'll never be involved in a crash quite like this one. But a hot shot on a motorcycle thought he would have a little fun with me last night and nearly ran me into a ditch.
The guy came up behind and hit his brakes causing his back tire to skid towards me. Just about the time I was going to bail out in the ditch, he released the brake and straightened out the bike...kicking his foot towards me as he passed by.
Once my heart stopped pounding, the aggression began to flow. I was so steamed for the last 5-6 miles back into old Milford, I couldn't think of anything except wacking that guy across the face with the frame of my bike. It's actually light enough to weild as a weapon perhaps.

After the emotions began to simmer and the heart rate dropped to normal cycling rhythms, I decided that our area of Clermont County just isn't a safe place to ride. I've been accosted several times like this since we've lived in Cincinnati. Although the bike trails are hardly ideal for a road cyclist like myself, I suppose I will have to dodge roller bladers, puppies, and tri-cycles to extend my riding career (and life) as long as possible.

3 comments:

teaii said...

cincinnati is the worst city in the world for bicycling. the roads are horrible, cyclists don't know or follow the rules of the road and motorists are inattentive at best and outright malicious at worst. i, too, am stuck with the quandary of riding on the roads or the bike path, though for me it's a matter of logistics - the path is too far away and defeats the purpose of riding my bike if i have to drive eight miles to get to the path.

all that to say, i feel your pain, bro.
Æ

=)Bnpositive said...

License plate? Description? I'd report that idiot as best I could! Ridiculous!

Unknown said...

Chris,
I'm glad that you are ok. I did a little road riding yesterday as well. It just makes me too nervous. I have a real struggle with my attitude when I ride because I see all drivers as ignorant and unaware. I have to remind myself that I surely drive in much the same fashion most of the time, although I hope I am more aware now that I have been almost hit a handful of times.