Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The Way I See It #237



I rarely even the read the cups that I'm handing out to espresso-craving customers. But today this one caught my attention. If you're having trouble reading tiny inverted print, it says:

"It's relationships, not programs, that change children. A great program simply creates the environment for healthy relationships to form between adults and children. Young people thrive when adults care about them on a one-to-one level, and when they also have a sense of belonging to a caring community."

--Bill Milliken (founder and vice chairman of Communites in Schools, author of Tough Love and The Last Dropout)

This quote could easily be altered to apply to a broader audience: "It's relationships, not programs, that change people. A great program simply creates the environment for healthy relationships to form. People thrive when someone cares about them on a one-to-one level, and when they also have a sense of belonging to a caring community."

It challenges me NOT to see people as a means to an end (whether in church, Starbucks, or my neighborhood) but to see people as fellow image-bearers who enrich my own life & community with their presence and contribution.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent quote! It reveals a basic need of humanity.

As I've been reading your posts and others' comments, I have a question for you and your readers: Can the "church" (organized institution) be seen as the "skin" of the Body of Christ?